Friday, September 11, 2015

finish it up Friday, 9/11/15

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

I have a lot of little things to share today....
My first project is a simple patchwork dish towel. I've been wanting to try this for quite some time but I never got around to it. I bought the flour sack towel on Monday and here it is, Friday, and it's finished. Woot! That is almost unheard of around here, but I could certainly take more of that!
I pulled a bunch of 2 1/2" squares from the scrap box and sewed them together without overthinking it. (That's always the trick, isn't it?) All the raw edges of the patchwork are turned under and enclosed, so it should wear well. This was my prototype and now that I see how easy they are, I'm certainly planning many more. I think they would make great gifts! This is scrap project #104. (Man, I'm excited to be back at my scrap challenge!)
I whipped up this skinny star pincushion just this morning. I have a bunch of scraps laying around the craft room (shocking, isn't it?) and I had some half-rectangle scraps randomly sitting on a square of linen. It was obvious that they belonged together! After a little bit of playing, this is what I came up with. I LOVE it! It's scrap project #105!
My bowl of pincushions is slowly filling up again, which makes me so happy! Speaking of pincushions....next weekend I will be up in Fargo at Modern Textiles to teach a few free motion quilting classes. The classes are full (sorry), but I will be there on Friday to visit, sew and do a little make and take pincushion with anyone who cares to stop by. No sign up required. If you are in the area, I'd love to see you there! There is more info about the event here.
My friend Brianne visited yesterday and we did some basting and de-threading of quilt tops. Neither are glamorous tasks, but so much more bearable when done in the company of a good friend. She made me this patchwork drawstring bag and I love it so much! I won't be counting it toward my scrappy finishes, but it's so cute I had to share. (There is a tutorial for the bag here, by my friend Jeni.)
 
Alright, I think it's your turn now! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thank you for joining me for finish it up Friday! 

29 comments:

Stacey @slostudio said...

Such lovely projects as always! I love the scrappy star pincushion, I think it's one of my favourites that you've made! :)

Sandra Coleman Clarke said...

I love looking at your projects. The pin cushions are darling and I do like the towel you made too. Where did you get the flour sacks? Thanks for inspiring me.

Lorna McMahon said...

These are all such happy, brightly coloured items.... Makes for a happy Friday!

tara said...

What a great idea! I may have to try this. Thanks for the inspiration

CapitolaQuilter said...

Doing unglamorous tasks is alway more enjoyable with a friend. Love the pin cushion

Karisma said...

Such lovely projects! And that big bowl of pin cushions? Inspiring. I love the red with the linen. As always, thank you so much for hosting this link up... it is so nice to be able to see what other people are working on and to find new creative spaces. Aloha!

DaisyLiz said...

I gave my mother in law a similar dish towel years ago while my husband and I were dating, and she still has it - it has worn really really well (likely much better than anything that's mass manufactured). I agree about doing the less fun chores with friends!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I really like the tea towel and am itching to go find a tea towel and dive into my scraps!

Cut&Alter said...

As always I love your pincushions. Every time I see your new makes I resolve to make some myself ..... and then forget. I think it's time I hit my scraps!

Rene' said...

Great finishes! I have a stack of "blank" tea towels I would like to embellish with pretty scraps. Thanks for the inspiration and reminder. Happy Friday!

Linda said...

Love the dish towel!
I received my order of your Good Neighbors fabric; it's all beautiful and feels so good to touch - one of my favorite things to do with nice fabric. ;) What I couldn't believe was the low price :-O You did good!

Abby / Linda said...

Love the little scrap pin cushions! Awesome!

dutchcomfort said...

Love your scrappy projects!

Turid said...

I love your pincushions, and linked up mine today. I have a bowl like yours, and will take your idea of filling it up with pincushions. Beautiful!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I am absolutely going to do that dish towel idea for my kitchen. Thank you for the inspiration!

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh I love the tea towel! What a simple but clever idea. They'd definitely make great quickly handmade house warming presents wouldn't they :)

annilu said...

All your shown projects are super cute, but my favourites are the kitchen towels. And of course, they DO make great gifts! I use to "pimp" fluffy bathroom towels with this kind of scrappy strips and give them as presents and they always are a great success and highly appreciated. And they are finished SO quickly! The absolut perfect last-minute gift!
Have a nice week-end on your side of the ocean :O)

Heike

Jennifer C. said...

When I scrolled down and saw the pincushion, my face just smiled all by itself! Thank you for such cheery images.

xxx said...

Love the towel...could you post a photo of what the back looks like? I'm having trouble visualizing how you finish the seams on the backside. thank you!

Angie in SoCal said...

That is a lovely bag, and so is the quilt behind it on the table. Those pincushions and the towel are cute! Thanks for sharing.

Shauna said...

You amaze me with all your finishes!

margaret said...

both scrap projects have worked well the towel looks so good loving the drawstring bag too off to check out the tutorial now

Margo Yang said...

Love your mini projects, especially the tea towel. I know what I'll be doing for gifts this Christmas. Thanks for the inspirations.
Visiting from Shadowlanequiltsandcrafts.blogspot.com

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Oh I love that star pincushion!!!!! Just beautiful!

Malinda said...

You've inspired me! Yesterday, I made a 9-patch pin cushion (from one of your posts a few years ago), two star pincushions and would love to do some tea towels. A mini-tutorial? Please? Love the new fabric and all the inspiring projects!

Tracybug Creative said...

Loving the tea towel! 😍😍

Laurel09 said...

Any chance you could show us the back of the tea towel? I'm interested in doing this, but I can't picture exactly what you would have done in the back to keep it neat.

Marla said...

Love the cute star pincushion!

leanne said...

love your tea towel and pincushions and eeeeekkk the pink with orange spot fabric is awesome and just makes that gorgeous bag !