Wednesday, December 04, 2013

trees! revisited

We are in the middle of our first real snow storm of the season. Yippee! :) It's been so fun to watch my backyard change as the seasons do. It won't be long until there are a million kid footprints running through that fresh blanket of snow. (You will have to excuse me...I'm from Minnesota, and we talk about the weather here. Constantly.)
Given the weather, today seemed like the PERFECT day to revisit my trees! pattern. The snow makes a pretty photo backdrop, doesn't it?
I'm using mini confetti dots by Dear Stella for the backgrounds. This fabric is wonderful! I don't think they custom made it for me, but I can imagine that they did, right? It was painful to break open the bundle. I had to do it quickly, like ripping off a band aid.
For the tree branches I'm using a lovely white on white dot from Connecting Threads. The white branches in the block remind me of my grandmother's Christmas tree from childhood.
These are my tree trimmings. ha ha ha! The pattern calls for fat quarters and this is all that is left from each one. I find that oddly satisfying. I LOVE making the most of my fabric.
 
On another note, my sweet husband drove out well out of his way after work last night JUST to pick up a spool of Aurifil thread for me. That's true love, wouldn't you say? :) I was in desperate need of it, and the only place I could find the right color in stock was 30 miles away. He might have had a little sticker shock, but he restrained from giving me TOO much grief about it. I'm thankful that I have an understanding husband. And I'm glad that I can get back to quilting this monster.
And, the last thing for today...my friend Tara sent me this MODA laundry basket that I've been wanting for years. Isn't that an amazing gift? Thanks so much, friend! It took me all of 5 minutes to start filling it with scraps....of course!

Hope you are having a wonderful Wednesday!

32 comments:

Hilary said...

I love that trees block! I think a bunch of them with reds and greens as the background would make an awesome Christmas quilt :)

Carla said...

You clever, clever girl!! How lovely!! That laundry basket it awesome also.

Michelle said...

Beautiful tree, I love the background color you choose for it.

Hollie @ Just a Mom who Sews said...

Oh, what a pretty fabric tree and real ones too. No snow here yet, but it's coming!

Schulz Family said...

Love the tree block and thought I would make it. Then I looked at the pattern. Wow you have patience!!!

Kim said...

Your DH probably knows that a happy wife equals a happy life :0)...
what a sweetie and I'm sure you go out of your way for him 100 times more than the other way around and he knows that too.
Love the trees :0)

Happy Sewing

Jayne said...

I love the tree block, lovely color and very cute,

cindy.singer said...

Super cute block! I'm a MN girl too and am loving the pretty snow!

RJ said...

I'm way up in Northern MN, and we have about 18" of fresh stuff, just since Monday!! So I'm having a love-hate relationship with it right now! ;) That basket is fab, wherever did she find it?!?

Live a Colorful Life said...

Having seen your yard in person, it's nice to see it blanketed in snow. And your trees are super cute. AND the Moda laundry basket is amazing! I have some scraps for you to add to it. Just sayin'

P.S. Visiting with you was the best part of my day.

Di~ said...

Ahhh love it all, the basket, the trees, the dots, the scraps, the snow, the thread….:)

Tara said...

My LQS uses two of those baskets for their scraps. Sorting through them is always my favorite part of my visit! I'd love to have one of those. I didn't even know they were something special that was sold.

Vicki said...

That tree is soooo cute! That basket is great.

Celtic Thistle said...

Love the tree block and picturing it on the snow - perfect!

Pickletoes Quilts said...

Love the tree - I'm from New England, and we always talk about the weather, no matter what the season!

Mama Urchin said...

I love the basket! Tara has quite the knack for finding/getting great stuff.

Suzanne said...

Oh what fun!

Weather-wise, we are about to get hit with some crazy stuff here and a temperature drop of 50 degrees over two days.

Thanks to you, now I know that when a storm hits, I need to add thread to the list of essentials. Why is it that as soon as the storm talk starts, everyone has to rush out for French Toast?

SarahZ said...

Glad to hear I am not the only one with Winter today :) I love your trees!

Anonymous said...

Those tiny dots are perfectly snowy!! So cute. I love having little inside jokes with my quilts like that.

Thimbleanna said...

I LOVE that tree quilt and I can't wait to see this new version! And why didn't you say you wanted a laundry basket LOL??? I LOVE mine!!!

Unknown said...

Love the trees!

I also love making the most of my fabric!

There happens to be a LQS on my husband's route home that carries Aurifil, so when I can't make it there I have him stop, too. Not sure if I could convince him to drive out of his way, though! ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm in Southern Alberta, and we got a huge dump of snow like that earlier this week. Makes it seem like Christmas is coming, with all the snow on the ground.

Your husband is so sweet to go such a distance to get thread for you. I get my Aurifil online at Tristan Italian Threads, and they are having massive, massive sales on it right now. Just in case you need more thread. :)

beaniekins84(at)gmail(dot)com

Angela Smith said...

I'm from Montreal canada so I completely understand talking about the weather! Your husband is a good man to do that for you! Happy sewing!

Susana Neiger said...

Love it! A snow-covered version of Trees! Looking great, and those dots are adorable!

Becky said...

The mini confetti dots are darling! Love the snow. We should be getting some tonight in Missouri as well.

pandchintz said...

Your tree block is gorgeous! And you can talk about and show pics of snow as much as you like; I live in Australia and never see snow, so I love those pics!!

MOM Quilts said...

This is the cutest of cutest of Christmas tree I have ever seen in my (rather long...) life !
Cheers from France with no snow but rain.
Marie-Odile

Vera said...

Fun tree and lovely basket.

Sara said...

Your hubby is a keeper and the tree in those killer dots is so lively!!

Cheryl Arkison said...

I can't believe you cut into it! Much sooner than expected.

Flaun of I Plead Quilty! said...

Hey, I recognize some of those scraps! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Loving that Moda basket! I need a friend like that! And can your husband call mine and tell him how supportive he is? My husband just doesn't get the whole thread thing. Thanks Cynthia