Friday, August 06, 2010

fair and square quilt pattern


At long last...the fair and square quilt pattern! I've been working on this baby for a long time. I even made it into a pdf. (Hey, for me that's a big deal!) A big thanks to my 9 year old son and my husband who helped me with many, many details of writing it. I'm not a Power Point user, I'm more of a Quark Xpress girl, but cha-ching, is it spendy!!! So I'm learning to make due with Power Point. Anyway....

You can download the pdf here. Yay!

I didn't include the cutting instructions on the pdf, so I am going to outline how to cut the sashing here. They are pretty slick and easy, if I do say so myself.

First, cut your 2 yard piece of background fabric to 66 1/2".
You will be making lengthwise cuts from the fabric. Lay out the fabric like it comes off the bolt. In this photo the fold is on the left, the selvage edges are on the right.

Take the bottom of your fabric and fold it up onto itself. Line up the edges as much as possible. I tend to use the fold side to line it up.

Now, take the fabric and fold it up onto itself once again.

At this point the fabric should fit on your cutting mat.
(Excuse the change in fabric color here.)
Make one cut that measures 6.5", and 4 cuts that measure 3.5". Discard the selvages (not shown on this photo, they were on the right) and the fold (on the left).

Since the fabric is doubled, this will yield 2 6.5" strips and 8 3.5" strips. Now you are ready to make the rest of the cuts according to the pattern. Easy as pie, right?

Since this is a free quilt pattern, if you make one for yourself, would you also consider making another (quilt top only) and donating it to Margaret's Hope Chest? They will quilt and bind it and then make sure that it gets into the hands of someone in need. Of course if you want to finish the quilt yourself and donate it, they would happily accept those as well. That kind of goes without saying, though, doesn't it? ;) Your donation will be much appreciated!

One more thing...if anyone who was at the work party last weekend found an extra pair of orange handled Fiskars scissors with black blades, I lost mine. :( I know I could go out and buy a new pair, but those had sentimental meaning to me. If they turned up in anyone's stuff, please let me know. Thanks so much.

31 comments:

sandra key said...

this quilt is great just what I have been looking for. my dad wore plaid shirts all the time except the few that were church shirts. when he died we wanted to make a quilt out of his shirts for my mother,sister and me. I have looked for something simple making one quilt does not make me a quilter. this will be perfect for the three of us. thank you. sandra

Danetta said...

You are awesome! Thank you for generosity with the pattern and what a wonderful way for others to give back by donating to Margaret's Hope Chest.

gale said...

Thank you!! I've been admiring all the different quilts you've done with this and wanted to try it.

Cristina said...

Thanks for the pattern. I'm sure I'm going to make one. It feels like autumn and will be very nice on my couch.

marilyn said...

Thank you so much for the pattern. I will definately make a couple of quilt tops to send along to Margaret's Hope Chest as a thank you to you! What a great organization birthed from such tragedy.

This quilt is perfect for all of the boys. There are so few patterns out there for charity quilts for boys.

Thanks again!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Completely impressed that you did the pdf pattern and thanks so much for your generosity. Can the donation quilt have any kind of fabric? or does it need to be plaids?

Candace said...

Thank you for your generosity with this great pattern. If I get to make it (it's on my list) I will definitely do two as you requested. Such a good cause.

Annalia said...

Sounds like fun! As much as I like your masculine quilts, I think I NEED to do a floral one. :)

Terriaw said...

Yay for PDF patterns! Makes it so much easier to print and save for reference. I learned how to do that from a fellow blogger, which was awesome. I wrote those directions down somewhere...

Love this quilt, btw! Thanks for sharing the pattern. Hope you find your scissors!

Carrie said...

The downloader doesn't work for me. :(

No matter what I do and what I allow, it doesn't redirect to the actual download, even though I get the countdown of 15 seconds and get to Go!...it doesn't go. :(

Jan said...

Thank you for your fabulous generosity.

Bricoles Textiles said...

Thank you so much for this pattern. As far as I love your "fair and square" quilts so much, I was already on my own way to make my version. I started one yesterday and think I'll finished the top today.

dutchcomfort said...

Thanks Amandajean for the pdf pattern!

I’m a Quark XPress girl too, but recently learned to use Powerpoint. I don’t really like it and prefer to make up patterns and PDF’s in Quark.

Happy weekend!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Great quilt. Fathers day is just around the corner here in Australia, so I have an idea what my dad might be receiving :-)

Angie said...

Such a fun pattern - Thank you for sharing! Both of your quilts are great :)

grendelskin said...

Thank you for sharing your pattern! You're always so generous, and it's much appreciated out here in Blogland.

Regiane Artesanatos said...

Estes quilts são fabulosos!!! Lindos! Maravilhosos!
Parabéns pelo trabalho tão caprichado.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Gorgeous quilts...love the plaid too. It would be an excellent way to use up some charm squares...something I seems to have more of than sense!! LOL

Dara said...

Fabulous. I am excited to try this pattern. It looks so professional. I look forward to when my kids are older and they can teach me about this computer stuff.

Anonymous said...

You are totally awesome. As busy as you are making quilts, you unselfishly continue to give & provide patterns---free! A spot in quilting heaven is definitely reserved for you. Love the patterns-- your request to make an additional quilt to donate is a small request given the enormous amount of time you give to all of your adoring blog fans, not to mention all the quality free patterns you provide us. Thank you & may God continue to bless you with infinite quilt wisdom.
Brenda C.
Texas

Jenny said...

thats a lovely quilt - will def be having a go at that.

Quilted Cupcake said...

Thanks for the constant inspiration, and your excellent living example of using our talents to help others. This is an awesome idea! I'll be sure to talk about it on my next podcast, and encourage folks to make a quilt for Margaret's Hope Chest.

Timi said...

I like your quilt very much :o)!
Thanks for the pattern!!!

Regina said...

Thank you and your family so much for writing the pattern up and sharing it with us! I've never heard of Margaret's Hope Chest so thank you too for sharing their link.

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

Oh, I see the fabric from my little boys shirt in there. So sweet. I'm glad these are going to such a special cause. Thanks for the pattern and I will definitely be making one for MHC!

Robin said...

I had just started reading your blog last December, and I was devastated (along with many others) when you put up your last post. I recently was checking out your blog just as a resource and found that you were back in business! Now I've got lots of reading to do to get caught up. By the way, I love the Fair and Spuare quilt! I have five sons that I make a new quilt for each year in the same pattern but with different color schemes. It is fun to see how color makes such a huge impact in the same pattern depending on how you use it. I am learning a lot about color value as I quilt. Thanks for your hard work to keep other Mom quilters going!

marilyn said...

I just finished one of your quilt tops and thought you would like to see it.

http://northhillsquilter.blogspot.com

Turned out great. I will be sending this one along to your suggested charity.
thanks again for the pattern.

Sandra said...

I enjoy your blog quilts very much. How do I follow you?

thank you

sandra

Sally Langston Warren said...

Love the Fair and Square quilt! I tried to download the pdf directions but was not able to. I got the countdown screen but when it gets to "go"..it takes me back to the screen with the download button. Can't figure out what to do. Is it just me?

Anonymous said...

No it is not you - I had the same problem downloading. SIGH!

Mollie said...

lovely! will be trying this with some old baby clothes :)